Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Exit Sandy


I'm still rather surprised that I did not lose power with this hurricane, although my Internet and cable television did go out about 8:30 pm and didn't come back on until this morning. In general my neighborhood is fine as well, but I'm one of the lucky ones. About 15 people have died. Millions of people are without power, and the devastation is far and wide throughout NY and NJ especially. Sections of Queens are flooded, other areas devastated by fires. Apparently Asbury Park (where the boys & I spent some fun summer afternoons) lost its boardwalk and the restaurants and shops there are all seriously damaged. Subway tunnels are flooded to their ceilings in some cases, and they're thinking it will take 4 to 5 days before subways are running normally again. The Battery and Holland tunnels are also flooded and still closed. Lower Manhattan below 30th St. is in total darkness. In fact, the picture I took this morning from the Brooklyn side of the East River shows lower Manhattan and Jersey City in the distance. It's eerie to see no activity or lights. But the clean-up has begun, slowly but surely, and people will have to be patient. I'm supposed to be heading to Florida in a few days but there's no word yet as to when officially the airports will reopen. Nature clearly knows who's the boss and has taught us a lesson.

No comments: