Wednesday, May 14, 2014

AAMG in Seattle


I'm heading to Seattle, Washington for the weekend for the 2014 Association of Academic Museums & Galleries (AAMG) annual conference. It will be the first time I've ever attended this conference. Fortunately, I will know at least one person who is going. AAMG is a somewhat of an off-shoot of the American Alliance for Museums (AAM), and their annual conference with a big expo starts right after AAMG, but I actually have to miss that part of things to get back to work, which is a little disappointing. The AAMG conference seems interesting, with sessions on museum education for undergraduates and the role of visual literacy in writing about art as just two examples. I'm also attending an intensive "Bootcamp for Academic Museums" workshop on Sunday morning, for which I actually have homework to do! I haven't been to Seattle since 1997, when I attended the Special Libraries Association conference, and I enjoyed the visit then, so I'm looking forward to strolling through Pike Place Market along the waterfront, checking out the Seattle Art Museum and its Olympic Sculpture Park, and maybe even climb the Space Needle (even if it is a bit of a kitschy thing to do). The crazy thing is that this is a marathon visit--60 hours! And then I fly back in NYC for a work event. Yes, sometimes I am a little nutty.

No comments: