Sunday, February 2, 2020

Cities of 2019

I'm a bit late to recording the places that AA & I visited, for work or vacation, in 2019. We have some more travel coming up, so it made me realize I had yet to take stock and express how fortunate we are to be able to travel and take in these new experiences (e.g. here is the 2018 list). I've always said that the more you travel, the smaller the world becomes, in ways that are rather humbling. We as a people have a tendency by our nature to see ourselves myopically as being at the "center" of our world, and when you see how many other people out there are existing simultaneously and contiguously, many of whom coincidentally also see themselves in their own "center-world," you realize how short-sighted such a view can be. For some people travel is disheartening or uncomfortable, as you're forced out of a comfort zone, but once you learn to embrace that sense of new-ness, exploring and embracing new cultures and seeing the wonders of new places out there, it's that experience that becomes the most comfortable.

This past year we made a return visit to Iceland because we loved it so much the first time. We saw so many beautiful natural wonders along the southern coast (picture at right of me with a glacier in the distance), but we still never saw the Northern Lights, so at least one more winter visit is in order! Having an opportunity to visit Vienna in November also was very nice (picture above of us on the grounds of the Schoenbrunn Palace). Vienna is a sophisticated city with some great museums and the coffee house culture is more relaxing than I anticipated. It was a long-awaited opportunity for me to see 4 major works of art I had waited a long time to see: Pieter Bruegel's Hunters in the Snow; Benvenuto Cellini's salt cellar; Antonio Canova's monument to the Archduchess Maria Christina; and Gustav Klimt's The Kiss. None of them disappointed.

Within the USA, I was able to get to know Chicago a lot better after we made two visits there together, and I made first-time work-related trips to Minneapolis and Santa Fe. The first city surprised me for its lush greenery (it was June and they had had substantial rain beforehand), and the second surprised me for its dry-desert serenity. I have to confess I'm more of an ocean person than a mountain/desert person, so returning to Ogunquit again gave us a few days of R&R without worrying about site-seeing.

Here's the list of cities I visited in 2019, and ever onward for those of 2020...

Chicago, Illinois (2 visits)
Leeds, England
London, England (2 visits)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
New Haven, Connecticut
New Orleans, Louisiana
Northamptonshire, England
Ogunquit, Maine
Paris, France
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reykjavik/Hella, Iceland
Santa Fe, New Mexico
St. Petersburg/Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs, Florida (2 visits)
Vienna, Austria

5 comments:

Sherman Clarke said...

Gosh, I'm sorry you didn't get to New York City or Jersey City in 2019. Do you think it's coincidental that you work and live in Cities?

bklynbiblio said...

LOL! Well, in past years, I've mentioned that these 'cities' reflect visits outside of NY/NJ, but I forgot to mention it this time. I do seem to travel in & out of NYC & JC a lot though. :-)

Dr. S. E. Cregier said...

Dear Mr Ferrari, Learning of your interest in 19th century art, and most appreciative of your Oxford DNB entry on Fanny Eaton, I'm wondering if you have or plan to work on the mystery of Annie Gilbert? Susanna Forrest has done a superb entry on her blog, https://susannaforrest.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/who-is-the-woman-in-sir-edwin-landseers-the-shrew-tamed/
I've been working on gathering material on her association with the American horsetamer, John Solomon Rarey, and details of her death.
I would appreciate learning if you know of material on this enchanting lady. A government researcher in the UK traced her homes, discovered her care of a nephew by her promiscuous sister, and other indications of a most solid and daring personality.
I would appreciate learning if you know of material on this enchanting lady. Sincerely, S.E.Cregier, Ph.D., FIASH (Hon., Edin). a1billybong@gmail.com

Mark said...

Hi,

I inherited a painting that might be by Abraham Solomon. I know very little about paintings or Abraham Solomon, but I saw your blog posts on Simeon Solomon. I was told Abraham Solomon was a distant relative. Can I email you a photo of it? It's in poor shape. It depicts two grandparents, with the male doing needlework and the female seated next to him. My mother always referred to it as the grandmother painting.

Best,

Mark

bklynbiblio said...

Mark, email me at rcf2123@columbia.edu with a picture. Also, yes, take a look at the Simeon Solomon Research Archive page we have about Abraham Solomon: https://www.simeonsolomon.com/abraham-solomon-biography.html