Thursday, October 30, 2008

Doctor David Tennant

Oy! Such a tragedy to befall us fans of Doctor Who! My friend CC in England just sent me word that David Tennant has announced he will be leaving the show at the end of next year's episodes. On the BBC website announcement about his departure, Tennant was quoted from an acceptance speech last night as saying, "Now don’t make me cry. The 2009 shows will be my last playing the Doctor. I love this show and if I don’t take a deep breath and move on now I never will and you will be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair." (For those uncertain what he's talking about, the Tardis is his time-traveling spacecraft in the form of a 1950s British police phone box.) So life must go on, but without Doctor David Tennant, although the show will continue with a new, 11th Doctor (the Doctor and other Timelords have the ability to regenerate themselves whenever their lives are threatened). Fortunately, Tennant isn't a flash-in-the-pan. The Scottish-born actor is a Shakespearean-trained performer who recently did a stint in Stratford-upon-Avon playing Hamlet alongside Patrick Stewart as Claudius, for which both got rave reviews, so I have no doubt we'll see more of Tennant. In the meantime, executive producer Russell T. Davies is promising to make sure they send off Tennant's Doctor with "the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching." I thought it would be interesting to pair the announcement of his departure with this report on the BBC website from when he first started as the Doctor in 2005. The picture here is from that episode, and just to make things clear, Tennant is the human, not the Sycorax alien in the background trying to take over Planet Earth.

No comments: