Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Artist's Studio in Britain (Pictures!)

I thought I would share a few photos from the seminar last week. My thanks to fellow "seminarian"(?!) Alexandra Courtois for letting me use these digital images she took. The one above is Mark Hallett discussing with us Reynolds's portrait of Mrs. Abington as Miss Prue in Love for Love by William Congreve, 1771. (You'll recognize the back of my head in the lower right.) The image to the right is a collection of some of the 18th- and 19th-century sketchbooks and portfolios we looked at in the study room. Below is a picture of Sarah Turner talking about direct stone carving with Barbara Hepworth's Biolith, 1948-9, as our object of discussion (Alex digitally altered that image a bit). The last image below shows us learning hands-on about pigments in the paintings conservation lab.


No comments: