Thursday, March 21, 2013

MWA: 1 to 10

Ever since I last posted about the defense draft of my dissertation, I've been more busy than I expected, mostly with positive things, but some unexpected negative things too. C'est la vie! In any case, I'm hoping to get back to bklynbiblio and post a few new things, and I thought I would start with something different about the Monthly Work of Art. I first started this feature a year ago, in which each month I posted an image of a work of art by an artist and wrote about it or quoted from others who have written about it. I thought I would give a brief recap of the first 10 MWAs, especially since I realized that I've forgotten some of what I've posted over the past year. In parentheses after each work is the number of page views each has gotten to date. The title of each work is hyperlinked to the original post where you can read more about the art object. Enjoy, and stay tuned for future MWAs!

I. Paul Cézanne, Tulips in a Vase, 1888-90 (94 views)
II. The Good Shepherd, late 3rd century (320 views)
III. Meera Thompson, Capriccio, 2012 (62 views)
IV. Leonardo da Vinci, Ginevra de' Benci, ca. 1474-78 (45 views)
V. Gustav Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer I, 1907 (52 views)
VI. Charles Demuth, After Sir Christopher Wren, 1920 (26 views)
VII. Isamu Noguchi, Core (Cored Sculpture), 1978 (51 views)
VIII. Francisco Goya, The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters, from Los Caprichos, 1797-98 (83 views)
IX. Frida Kahlo, Self-Portrait Dedicated to Leon Trotsky, 1937 (37 views)
X. Lorenzo Lotto, The Nativity, 1523 (21 views)

No comments: