Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hawk in the Yard

For the past few mornings, I've been struck by the beauty of this creature that has been sitting in the bare tree in my backyard. I took this picture using my digital camera and the zoom feature. The juxtaposition of natural wildlife and New York may seem anomalous, but here's proof that it does exist even in the big city. It's fascinating to watch him look at everything around him. Curiously not another bird is in sight whenever he's in the tree. After he leaves, all the doves and pigeons come back. Watching him brings back memories of when I used to work at Sunken Gardens in St. Petersburg, FL. I used to perform parrot shows with macaws (oh, the stories I could tell...), but we also did occasional shows with birds of prey. Other times, I would wear the thick leather glove and bring the hawk out onto the grass and let him get sun. I think birds of prey are gorgeous creatures. This bird is a hawk, but I don't think it's a Red-tailed Hawk. I did some poking around on the Internet and found this site to help, so I believe this is a Broad-winged Hawk. If anyone thinks otherwise, let me know.

No comments: