Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fire Island 2010

Summers for the gay male population in NYC and the surrounding area usually means vacations to either Provincetown or Fire Island. bklynbiblio readers know about my 2008 and 2009 trips to P-town, located at the tip of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. This year I decided to go with JM and his friends to Fire Island, a barrier island off the coast of Long Island. You can see a map of the area here. Apparently we have to take a train, a shuttle, and a ferry to get there, but supposedly we'll be there in less than 3 hours. My friends DC & DG will be there too celebrating DC's 40th birthday with a big party at their rented cottage on Saturday. I'm a Fire Island virgin, so I'm pretty excited about going (just do a Google Image search and you'll quickly see why). I've been so busy the past few weeks though, I haven't even asked until the other day where we were staying, and only now just looked it up on the Web: the Belvedere Guest House for Men. I don't know if I was more startled by the Venetian-style villa and its Baroque ornamentation, the faux Apollo Belvedere, or the accompanying soundtrack from one of my favorite pieces of music, the opening segment to "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve. Now I understand why it seemed so darn expensive! We're only going for 2 nights, so it will be a quick trip, but it should be lots of fun. Don't expect much of a report back, though; assume it's going to be a weekend of hedonistic bliss.

No comments: