Friday, January 6, 2017

First Snowstorm: 2016-2017 Winter

When I was in London in mid-December, the weather there reached the mid-50s and was surprisingly beautiful. In the NYC area, however, the weather at that same time was bitterly cold a few days, and then the area was hit with a snowstorm. By the time I got home, the snow long had melted. Late last night, it started snowing, and we still had some flurries this morning. While I wouldn't normally classify today's weather event as a true snowstorm, I will today since it did stick and it made for at least one lovely shot when I reached Columbia this morning. This is taken from the entrance gates at 116th St. on Broadway. My suspicion is that we are going to have a mildly-snowy winter; we may get a few more flurries, but I don't think we will be hit with major storms. In any case, as always, it is picturesque when you first see the blanket of white dust everything around you.

UPDATE 1/7/17: Not surprisingly, a significant amount of the snow melted by later that afternoon. This morning, however, we awoke to news that we are expecting more than double the amount that fell today, so perhaps we should consider yesterday to be the first wave in today's snowstorm...

No comments: